23 August 2010

An Old Mix

Recently, while cleaning out my closet, I found a few old mix CDs I made when I was in high school. Some were badly scratched and unplayable, but I was able to salvage one labeled "Compilation #1". It might be the first CD I ever burned.

When I was in high school, I had a handful of songs that were my absolute overplayed favorites. I'd rotate a few songs in and out, but for the most part, my favorites were made of bricks and unmovable.

When I stuck it in the CD player and hit play, it was as if I'd found a diary full of entries I'd forgotten to write down ten years ago. The wave was so huge it knocked me flat. I was speechless. It was more powerful than when I found the CD I burned to roll for the first time.

I know it's bullshit, but I felt like I was connecting myself then with myself now, skipping all that calamity in between. All the stuff that happened after I burned that CD made me a different person, and I'm glad I took that audible snapshot of my life when I was 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment