11 June 2013

Delusions of Grandeur

Sometimes, when I sit down to write, all I can think of is me, writing. When that happens, I usually don't end up writing anything, preferring instead to distract myself with Reddit, Facebook, or the world news I find in both places. For, like, hours.

Other times, I sit down to write and manage to forget about myself sitting down to write. Cool things end up happening after that -- I think of plots, wordplay, characterization. My characters, and oh how I love their pitfalls and redemptions. I go back in time and feel what 14 years old felt like, and I take those things and bring them to my notebook, who is always elated to get physical contact.

When I think of myself writing, I subconsciously elevate the importance of the act to a pedestal I can't reach; I defeat my pen before I pick it up.

When I forget about what I'm doing, everything seems so much less important; there is infinitely less pressure, and the page turns into a valuable playground that must never know what it's worth.





No comments:

Post a Comment