12 January 2013

The Trouble With Forgetting

Everybody's got some kind of problem. For some, addiction runs rampant -- compulsive, destructive behavior is harder for some to curb than others. Some people have trouble coping with things, with death and the finality of it; with life and its illusory infinity.

I have trouble forgetting.

It's not that it's harder for me to forget things than it is for others. It's not the opposite -- that I have trouble remembering things -- either. I simply have a rough time with the concept of...forgetting.

Occasionally I'll be talking to someone, usually a fellow writer, and we end up on the topic of writing. Why we do it. And always, without fail, I will point one sure finger at my fear of forgetting, and follow it up by explaining that I watched my grandmother die of Alzheimer's.

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure of that explanation myself.  Maybe it's just the easiest explanation...it's the one that makes the most sense; the one that tabulates when all my tendencies are plugged into the equation.

For one, I don't remember that experience affecting me so deeply at the time. I was 7 or 8 years old when we visited my grandmother at the nursing home, and while I was old enough to understand what the disease was doing to her, I hardly knew the woman outside of vague circus memories and the smell of the quilt she made me. Before she was living in a nursing home, we only saw her once or twice a year, even though she lived closer to us than other relatives. I didn't even cry at her funeral.

There are a few things I do remember, though; and I remember those things in high resolution.

I remember walking into her room at the nursing home; the smell of the place; the lack of children or family and the way they all turned their heads when we walked by. I remember taking my little sister outside because she was bored, and an old lady slowly chasing us around the circular courtyard because she thought we were her grandchildren and that we were running away from her. I remember a resident stealing a toy Ant had brought with her, and my mom having to ask a nurse to get it out of the lady's pocket.

I remember waking up on Sunday morning, whining because I didn't want to go to the nursing home, and my mother telling me, "I know you don't like it but we have to go because daddy needs us to be there." I remember one of the last times we visited her there, she was sitting in a rocking chair, staring straight ahead and saying, "I'm going to my mama's house in Lutcher."

I asked my dad what Lutcher was, and he told me that Lutcher was where his parents were born. I remember wondering -- I might have asked him -- why we'd never been there, and why I'd never even heard of the place. Of all the trips to Grand Isle, of all the stories my dad told me about ghost town interstate exits and bridges and bayous...of the hundreds of times I'd ridden shotgun as we passed the exit, he hadn't ever thought to mention the importance of Lutcher.

If I asked him, I don't remember the answer, because after that, the memory is shrouded in a thick sadness -- and I'm not sure if it's part of the original memory or if it developed through hindsight. More than sadness, it was loss, for something that was being taken from me before I possessed it; nostalgia for a past that wasn't mine, but was still somehow part of me. It was all inside of this woman, and she was rocking back and forth before me, losing her mind. By the time I'd thought to pick her brain, it had mostly disintegrated.

If it hadn't been too late, would her answers have been important to me? Would her experiences have connected dots I still don't know are there? Probably not. I probably wouldn't have put much value in her words at age 8, even there in that room on that particular Sunday. I have, however, thought of that Sunday often enough for it to have...done something, I guess, to the way I live my life. Maybe?

I have trouble with forgetting. I think of it as a loss, not of synapses or tissue or even dignity, but of progress; in much the same way as some people lose car keys or an old padlock combination. It sounds silly, but when I forget what happened in some coffee shop on some random day, I can't handle it, I can't start the car, I can't unlock the door to my house. From an absurdly young age, I started documenting my memories -- not just in journals, but also by thinking about them repeatedly -- going back over their contours; retracing the lines so they'd never be faint enough to disappear completely.

But who's to say that this habit has anything to do with my grandmother losing her mind to Alzheimer's when I was 8? When I can't remember something, I don't imagine her face, I don't hear her words. When I'm staring at a blank document trying to summon subconscious details of a specific time and place in my life, listening to a song that played in that time and place, I'm never trying to recall memories of her. Maybe it's because I don't have many of her to recall.

I've wondered if it wasn't her at all, but rather, the lack of her -- all the things she didn't live long enough for me to ask her; all the weight in that room that I couldn't have possibly understood so young. Maybe all the things she forgot at the end of her life became the empty core of the reason I'm driven to remember every single moment of mine.

Maybe I don't want my granddaughter to learn of her roots by accident; maybe I don't want to leave such things to the slim chance that my dying mind will recall them when she's in the room. Maybe it's that simple, and I've just convoluted it with my own cursed, sharp memory. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment